Friday, August 22, 2008

A Crack in the Edge of the World

A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906 (P.S.) A Crack in the Edge of the World: America and the Great California Earthquake of 1906 by Simon Winchester


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
My knowledge as a Professional Geologist registered in the deliciously golden state of California not withstanding, this was a fun read for me, if you don't count the lengthy and detailed appendices. Winchester has great talent for breaking complicated stuff down, but not in a concise way. The science of the book was not the main attraction for me. Rather, the excerpts of writings from the time, and the anecdotes about famous people were what evoked the most time-travelly feelings in me, and those feelings are what I hope to experience while reading a historical novel like this.



The astutely concluded connections to the rest of the world that the 1906 earthquake has were fun too, but take me back to Ansel Adams on the actual morning of the quake. That was my favorite part.


View all my reviews.

No comments: