Saturday, July 25, 2009

Boxcar Bertha would have liked me

Sister of The Road: The Autobiography of Boxcar Bertha - as told to Dr. Ben Reitman (NABAT) Sister of The Road: The Autobiography of Boxcar Bertha - as told to Dr. Ben Reitman by Ben Reitman


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Generations cycle through, cry through endless nights then molder in graves cold, but the habits & desires of society and individuals abide. So modern to believe we live like none before us, but the the things that don't change prove most uncanny & ubiquitous. I love Bertha for her honesty, I love hitchhiking, wide open spaces and concrete jungles. Found out that there's a movie loosely based on the book that came out in 1972 (two stars). One disappointing thing, however, was finding out at the end that it really was written by Ben Reitman, which I admit it says on the cover, but then it also calls itself an autobiography. Bertha still feels real to me, because I got to feeling her strong living as I read. Got the urge to ride the rails stronger than ever. My Uncle Tony used to ride the rails, got shot at by railroad dicks and everything, and I knew some folks in college that tried it, but somehow I missed the train. I'll wait until my kids grow just a little more first, but then it's motorcycle riding, hang gliding, and hobo vacation time, all the time.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: